Activity closed and missing pariticipant

Nancy Lloyd

01 Mar, 2013 03:28 AM

Hello,

I'm very upset. I posted a hike to Annette Lake for Sat. 3/2 with a closing date of Friday, 3/1. I have not heard from anyone this week, and tonight I checked and see that the trip is gone when I search for it on the club website, it doesn't even appear as "registration closed." It is in my account as "closed," and I cannot edit the activity information. I keep getting an error message. The club sent me the Event Confirmation email on 2/26, so I thought all was okay. Conf #335759.

Second problem, my Big Creek hike on Feb. 24 had an assistant leader listed: Rebecca Chamberlain. I updated the roster and filed the trip report, now when I check the roster, she is gone! She should get the credit for being on the hike, why was she dropped? It was not my mistake, something happened in your computer program.

Please resolve these problems. I'm very upset that my 3/2 Annette Lake hike is now gone.
Nancy Lloyd

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 01 Mar, 2013 06:44 PM

Nancy,

Your Annette Lake "hike" is still listed. See the attached screen captures. As I mentioned in an earlier email regarding destinations, it appears that you should have chosen the snowshoe destination for Annette Lake. Perhaps that is why you've not yet been contacted by anyone wanting to go--snowshoers don't see it in the snowshoe listings and it's too much for hikers this time of the year.

Rebecca showed on your Big Creek Loop hike as having been a cancelled participant, so it appears that you cancelled her from the participant roster, but did not get her added to the leader roster. I corrected this so she now appears on the leader roster with "Pass" credit.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Bowman
    IT, Bookstore, Member Services
    [email blocked]
    (206) 521-6002 The Mountaineers – Explore, Learn, Conserve
    Find us ONLINE: www.mountaineers.org
    Connect with us on FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/TheMountaineers
    Connect with us on TWITTER: twitter.com/MountaineersOrg
    SAVE THE DATE for EVEREST50 – April 20, 2013: www.mountaineers.org/Everest50

2. Jeff Bowman closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2013 06:44 PM.

3. Nancy Lloyd re-opened this discussion on 01 Mar, 2013 09:48 PM

4. 2 Posted by Nancy Lloyd on 01 Mar, 2013 09:48 PM

Thank you for your reply Jeff.  I did add Rebecca as assistant leader, and she was indeed listed that way when I filed the roster for the activity.  I assure you I did add her back on after cancelling her as a participant - and I absolutely saw her listed as assistant leader before I submitted the roster.  Apparently something happened in the computer system, or she was removed by someone else - I don't know.  This tells me though, that I have to double-check everything.

Yes, the Annette Lake hike is listed - that's because I had to add it again.  It disappeared from the activity search results, but still showed in my account.  So, I had to cancel it and put a new one on.  That was my question:  why did that happen?  I know how to list an activity, nothing like this ever happened before.
    Could you look into that for me?

Thank you again for your help,
    Nancy Lloyd

Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 10:45 AM
    Subject: Re: Activity closed and missing pariticipant [Problems #581]

5. 3 Posted by Nancy Lloyd on 01 Mar, 2013 09:57 PM

One more note, Jeff.  I did try to add Annette Lake as a "snowshoe" trip, the system would not allow me.  The only option I had was to list it as a "hike" with snowshoes required.

I hope the new system the club ultimately gets is more user friendly and secure.  I am concerned that other Leaders and/or Committee Chairs can edit activities that do not belong to them.  This can be done, I have seen it, and do not believe it should be allowed.

Thanks again,
    Nancy Lloyd 

----- Forwarded Message -----
    To: "[email blocked]" <[email blocked]>
    Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 1:47 PM

Thank you for your reply Jeff.  I did add Rebecca as assistant leader, and she was indeed listed that way when I filed the roster for the activity.  I assure you I did add her back on after cancelling her as a participant - and I absolutely saw her listed as assistant leader before I submitted the roster.  Apparently something happened in the computer system, or she was removed by someone else - I don't know.  This tells me though, that I have to double-check everything.

Yes, the Annette Lake hike is listed - that's because I had to add it again.  It disappeared from the activity search results, but still showed in my account.  So, I had to cancel it and put a new one on.  That was my question:  why did that happen?  I know how to list an activity, nothing like this ever happened before.
    Could you look into that for me?

Thank you again for your help,
    Nancy Lloyd

Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 10:45 AM

6. 4 Posted by JernpluppeK on 04 Mar, 2013 10:09 PM

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 05 Mar, 2013 02:29 AM

Nancy,

Computer glitches do happen and we (people) do make mistakes, so I am a big fan of double-checking!

If you see a hike listed on the Your Account page and cannot find it via the activity search, the search filters need to be adjusted. The most common one is the "Exclude activities where registration is closed" checkbox. To have it reappear in the search results generated by using the "Get Outside & Explore" menu links, it would have been best to edit the activity details and extend the registration closing deadline.

You (and still are) were unable list snowshoe activities, because you are not on the Snowshoe Committee as a leader. You'll need to have the committee chair add a record with the "leader" position code if you should be a snowshoe leader.

We are making improvements on the current system where we can and it is not too resource intensive. We are working on a new system that should be easier to use. It's a a least year and maybe two years from being launched.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Bowman
    [email blocked]

8. Jeff Bowman closed this discussion on 05 Mar, 2013 02:29 AM.

9. Nancy Lloyd re-opened this discussion on 05 Mar, 2013 02:44 AM

10. 6 Posted by Nancy Lloyd on 05 Mar, 2013 02:44 AM

Thank you Jeff.  I understand about editing the activity details.  And the "registration is closed" box was not checked when I searched, and neither were the other two.  I tried it again tonight - the 2nd trip I added Thursday shows up as cancelled, but the 1st one is gone completely.  I had explained in my first message that I could not edit the activity because I kept getting an error message - over and over.  So, that's why I decided to add it again on Thursday and hope for some last minute interest.  Even more strange is that I had to "cancel" the first "invisible" trip that disappeared before I could add a second one - even though it was nowhere in any "get out and explore" searches - impossible to edit an activity if it does not appear in any searches. It still appeared in my account as "closed." 

Nancy

Sent: Monday, March 4, 2013 6:29 PM

11. 7 Posted by WaxTraixhab on 05 Mar, 2013 02:02 PM

12. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 05 Mar, 2013 06:20 PM

Nancy,

I know you are frustrated with the system. Let me assure you of a coupe of things and make a suggestion or two:

1. If an activity is listed on the Your Account page that you are leading or for which you are registered, it can be found in the activity search. The filters may need to be adjusted for it to be found, but it does exist and can be found. This is because the Your Account page and activity search draw information from the same database. If you see it one place, it must exist and can be found in the other.

2. There are two listing for Annette Lake trips on the Your Account page and in the activity search (see the attached screen captures). They are both listed as cancelled now. So both the first listing you created and subsequently cancelled, and the second activity are in the system.

3. The system will not let you list or register for a trip if you are already registered for or leading a trip on the same day. There are ways around this for the times that it is needed, but this is one of our "business rules." That's why you had to cancel the first listing, before being able to create another listing.

4. If you need to edit or view information about your activities or rosters, you can use the links on the Your Account page (the "activity title" and View Roster). Viewing an activity's details may help you find it using the activity search and, perhaps more importantly, edit the details to make sure is does appear when potential participants use the linsk in the Get Outside & Explore menus.

5. If you get an error message and cannot quickly figure out the problem, contact our Member Service Team at [email blocked] or (206) 521-6001. If you email, please send as much info as possible about the error. At a minimum: the URL (web address) the gave the error, a screen capture or text of the error message, and a description of what you were attempting to do.

6. Avoid using "Sign-up with the leader." Letting people register and cancel themselves online is much less work for you and them. If you need to screen participants, you can use "Leader's Permission Required."

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Bowman
    [email blocked]

13. Jeff Bowman closed this discussion on 05 Mar, 2013 06:20 PM.

14. Nancy Lloyd re-opened this discussion on 06 Mar, 2013 11:57 AM

15. 9 Posted by Nancy Lloyd on 06 Mar, 2013 11:57 AM

Thanks Jeff for the time you've taken to respond to me.  At this point, the only things you've told me are that I've either been doing things wrong or do not know how to do things.  I've told you previously, and I'll tell you once more, I know how to use the system and do not need to be told.  I've been setting up trips for a few years now and have never had such strange problems.  It appears that you either do not understand the problems I had, or simply do not know how to address them other than explaining to me several times how to do things.  Again, I am not a novice at this and am fully aware of how to set up trips online, filters, editing, searching, etc.  In addition, you did not address the problem with a participant falling off my other trip to Big Creek.  Your response was that I deleted her and did not put her back; I do not appreciate being told, in essence, that I am not telling the truth.  But thank you for adding her back. 

If you don't know what caused my problems, I would have preferred to hear you say that.  But your repeated explanations certainly give me the impression that you do not believe I had the problems I described - or, if you do believe it, then I caused them myself out of ignorance.

I'm feeling rather insulted by this whole go-round.  Instead of continuing on in circles, consider this subject dropped.

Thank you again for your time,
    Nancy Lloyd

Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:46 AM

16. Support Staff 10 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 07 Mar, 2013 02:06 AM

Nancy,

My apologies. I did not intend to insult you. I only intended to help you and make sure you really understood our system and all of its quirkiness.

Jeff

17. Jeff Bowman closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2013 02:06 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac