New to the Mountaineers

Kelly Szepanski

05 Jul, 2011 04:37 PM

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to the Mountaineers, and although I'm really excited, I don't really know where to begin. I know they're a ton of activities out there, but I would love any suggestions as I am a newbie.

Just so you know, I believe my fitness level is higher than average?? I'd say that I could handle easy/moderate...but maybe more? I don't really know. I have ran two half marathons (last one was on 3/5/11) and am training for my third on 8/6/11, so I'm in moderate shape.

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 06 Jul, 2011 04:47 PM

Kelly,

Glad you're excited about getting started with The Mountaineers! The best place to start for advice about where you best fit would be the Beginning Hiking Seminar. Our expert hike leaders are there to help answer your questions and make sure that you get the most from our programs and activities. Here's a link to a bit more information about the seminar and a link to register for it.

http://www.mountaineers.org/stories/news.cfm?reader=44

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks!

Jeff

2. 2 Posted by Kristian Kalsin... on 01 Aug, 2011 09:05 PM

If you are already a seasoned hiker and more interested in getting started with basic climbing, both rock and ice, would this also be the best place to start?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jeff Bowman on 02 Aug, 2011 12:29 AM

Kristian,

Yes, the Basic Alpine Climbing Course is a great place to start. Here's a link to the info we have about the next course starting in 2012 for now:

http://help.mountaineers.org/discussions/questions/1821-re-2011-bas...

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks!

Jeff

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac