Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Guide Book

Chris Hill

12 Feb, 2014 04:27 PM

Hey guys, so I am currently finishing up my last semester in college. After I graduate I plan to move somewhere with lots of snow and lots of back-country. I plan to hike Tuckerman's ravine on Mt. Washington soon and I would like to start some research on back-country riding. I am currently getting into weekend hiking and week long hiking so I will have to gear necessary for long weekends on the snow. I am hoping that there are some good materials out there on the subject and also that some of you have some opinions on them. Please help me in the right direction for a knowledgeable understanding of skills needed for these types of adventures.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tess Wendel on 14 Feb, 2014 11:21 PM

Hi Chris,

For anyone getting serious about backcountry travel I like to recommend the following books. I also recommend getting your AIARE Level 1 Avalanche certification to better understand how to make good decisions in the winter time with regard to traveling safely in avalanche terrain (aka any good backcountry skiing is avalanche terrain).

Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain
    Freedom of the Hills
    Allen and Mikes Really COol Backcountry Ski Book: Traveling and Camping Skills for a Winter Environment
    Backcountry Snowboarding- Christopher Van Tilburg
    Winter Hiking and Camping- Michael Lanza

We do Backcountry Ski and Avalanche courses if you decide to move to Washington state where we are based. We also do Ski/Snowboard Mountaineering if you want to get into glacier travel techniques, crevasse rescue etc.

Happy and safe exploring!

Tess Wendel
    Member Services
    206-521-6001
    [email blocked]

2. Tess Wendel closed this discussion on 14 Feb, 2014 11:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac