Being placed on a wait list for an event

Dani

21 Feb, 2014 08:06 AM

Hi,

I am new to the Seattle area, and new to the Mountaineers, which I had heard nothing but great things about, and was extremely excited to get involved with. But I have a question regarding being placed on the wait list of an event...

Is it never acceptable for an event to exceed it's maximum level of participants? Is it up to the leader of the event to decide? Is it inappropriate to email the leader and ask if they would be allowed to participate if someone knows they are the first person on the wait list? I am asking these questions because my boyfriend registered for an event and was the first person placed on the wait list. This was the first event ever we've tried to register for through the Mountaineers and were very excited!

He decided to write the event leader and this is what he wrote: "Hi, I just signed up for this hike, and it looks like I'm the first one on the wait list. My girlfriend is about to register as well, and we were wondering how strict you were about the number of people going. We would love to join you if you have room! Thanks!"

This is the exact response he received: "not really a good idea to ask this of leader ANSWER IS NO" from Barbara A. Price.

So I guess I have many questions regarding this, but mainly, is this a good representation of this association? Obviously this was a let down being our first event we'd tried to register for, and our apology if it was just insanely inappropriate to ask how strict the maximum number of participants was to this event.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Would really love to know the policy regarding wait lists in the slight chance we ever decide to try to participate again. So unfortunate.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tess Wendel on 21 Feb, 2014 11:35 PM

Hi Dani,

So sorry to hear about your experience and I would say that such a rude and somewhat curt response is not the norm although some of our hike leaders are definitely better at communicating that others. For many of our trips there is a 12 person limit because that is the rule for national forest and national park land trips (no more than 12 heartbeats per group) which is something the leader should have explained.

For outings where this land management issue is not a concern or if it is a course it doesn't hurt to ask but usually the leader will contact folks on the waitlist if they can accommodate. For a course that would mean that they managed to get enough instructors to volunteer to help etc.

For a hike where you are first on the waitlist it doesn't hurt to email the leader to say if someone cancels last minute I am ready to hop on the trip and they can choose to contact you.

Again I regret this was your first impression of The Mountaineers and will also be passing along your feedback to our hiking committee chair so that we can make sure others do not have the same first experience.

Hope you give us another chance and that this clears up a few things about the waitlist and rosters.

Tess Wendel
    Member Services
    206-521-6001
    [email blocked]

2. Tess Wendel closed this discussion on 21 Feb, 2014 11:35 PM.

3. Danielle L. Edwards re-opened this discussion on 24 Feb, 2014 04:55 PM

4. 2 Posted by Danielle L. Edw... on 24 Feb, 2014 04:55 PM

Thank you so much Tess!

Danielle

Sent from my iPad

5. Tess Wendel closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2014 05:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac